Planning the Session
Wardrobe Tips for Clients
- Please avoid wearing Brand names (written or pictured) we know your kid loves Pokemon, but going for the classic look will make your images stand the test of time rather than being dated.
- No neons or intense highlighter colors. Those new track shoes?? Save those for the gym. These types of overly bright colors will throw weird color casts onto skin and most importantly, faces.
- Keep most of the colors neutral: definition of neutral- beiges, whites, denim, grays, even blacks and blues. Bring in a bold “pop” of color for that great focus to the family while keeping things united. Great pops of color include primary colors, such as mustard yellow, wine reds, and rich navy. Try to avoid the color green if you wish for your session to be at a park because you will look lost, in a literal sea of green.
- Wear what makes you comfortable and feel good/sexy/confident. There’s nothing worse than lashes poking you while in a overly tight strapless bra and feeling all bundled and constrained. Go for something that makes you feel like yourself, but enhanced, confident. I also advise to try to bring some sandals if you want to wear heels because there can be quite a distance to walk.
- Bring a jacket/scarf/second outfit in the car. For everyone, yes, everyone. Just in case because someone can have an accident, and not just the kiddos. Also, it doesn’t hurt to have a scarf or something to jazz up the session or give it a different look. Dress appropriately for the weather, if it’s cold, or wet, or too hot- you will look it.
For the kiddos: Dress them in something timeless, classic, and not crazy patterned and in trend. Also, please make sure it fits properly- overly baggy clothes were not attractive in the 90’s and it won’t be attractive on your kiddo. It just looks like one didn’t put forth the effort. If kiddo/baby doesn’t appreciate big bows or hair clips, please keep things simple, it decreases the chance of baby tugging and upsetting herself mid shoot. One caveat I will make here is, I LOVE FLOWER CROWNS. Especially for nature-y sessions at the park or in the fields. It just gives off such a rustic romantic charm. I will deal with a fussy girl if you bring a flower crown, just say’in.
The main thing to remember with Family Outfits is to coordinate and not exactly match. I have attached my pinterest board for your enjoyment. Also, my clients have my number and please feel free to text me your outfits and I can help in any way I can.
Family Photo Fashions
The Day of
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled time. You can use this time to finish touching up your makeup, clothes, and kids’ clothes. If you arrive early- DO NOT I repeat, DO NOT let kiddos outside to play! This will lead to quick boredom and annoyance when I get there. Kids up to age 9 or so only have an attention focus of about 45 min. So, please let them enjoy their surroundings while I’m there to document it.
- Please make sure all parties are clean, moisturized, and shampoo’d. No chipped nails (wiped clean is better than chipped). It just doesn’t give the right vibe. Makeup looks best on the more natural side but, as a makeup artist, I love a wild look as well.
- Please remember to bring ONE favorite toy/lovey, a snack or treat for the kiddos as a reward after the session and water. Oftentimes, little ones will fuss but miraculously, a sip of water can calm certain storms.
- Please remember, parents, during the shoot, I will have it under control, I (or, specifically my camera) needs to be the one the kid(s) look at not you, standing 2 feet away from me. Believe me, if a breakdown occurs, or for any reason I need mom or dad’s help, I will most certainly holler. Please for the duration of the session refrain from chastising your child (I know this is hard, it’s hard for me as well with my two kids) and just let them be… with me. I will handle them, I want genuine smiles and they may have to be a little naughty with me to get it.
- Rescheduling- please give me 48 hours. I, too, have 2 little ones, 3 really, if counting my hubby.
- We will be signing a model release.
After the session
About 1-2 weeks after your session, you will receive via email a password protected watermarked gallery of 20-30 images from me. At that time, you can decide which collection to purchase. If you are having difficulty narrowing it down, I will be available to help. If you would like personal help deciding which wall art or other extras, I will also be available to help.
After our transaction is complete, you will receive a print release from me which gives you the right to print your images (non-commercial) however you please.
You can also download the websized images to share on Facebook/Instagram, and other social media platforms, but please do tag me at facebook.com/JenniferChinnPhotography or jenniferchinnphotography.com.
I would so love and appreciate a shoutout on yelp!